Monday, August 24, 2009

Spicy BBQ Chicken

Last night I found myself in a familiar situation. I had very little money, only a few ingredients, and I was exhausted. The resulting meal was spicy BBQ chicken with sweet baby carrots as a side dish.

I must first admit that I did not make the BBQ sauce from scratch. I honestly feel bad about that but unfortunately it was more cost effective to start with a good sauce as a base and improve it. In this posting we will make the chicken and in a future posting we will make the baby carrots, the reasoning behind me holding out on you is you first need to know how to make a nice little caramel sauce a la Brad.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and oil up your shallow baking pan with some olive oil. Then trim your breasts nicely and place them in the pan... now let them sit for a minute while you get your sauce ready.

This is a super easy way to make a sweet spicy sauce... are you ready? You are? OK then here we go. Get a bowl and squeeze in some Sweet Baby Ray's (tm) Honey BBQ sauce. Now get yourself some red Tabasco (tm) sauce and add some (to taste). Stir it up and you're done. Honestly I think it is a nice little sauce, and for the price of a bottle of BBQ and some Tabasco you can't do much better without making it yourself from scratch.

Now that your oven is hot, and your sauce is ready you can season your chicken. First drizzle some olive oil over the top of your chicken and rub it all over. Then a splash of salt and fresh ground pepper, and finish it with a nice layer of paprika.

Put your pan in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes... I'll wait... OK now brush on a nice layer of your sauce, and replace it in the over for about five to ten more minutes. Once it comes out of the oven brush on a little bit more sauce, let it rest and serve. Spicy BBQ chicken on the cheap... DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment